Thursday, June 28, 7:30 PM
Location: 2001 Royalwood Dr., Arlington, 76006
Email or call Bill for directions: 817-718-2424
Hero (by Perry Moore). Synopsis: "The last thing in the world Thom Creed wants is to add to his father’s pain, so he keeps secrets. Like that he has special powers. And that he’s been asked to join the League – the very organization of superheroes that spurned his dad. But the most painful secret of all is one Thom can barely face himself: he’s gay. But becoming a member of the League opens up a new world to Thom. There, he connects with a misfit group of aspiring heroes, including Scarlett, who can control fire but not her anger; Typhoid Larry, who can make anyone sick with his touch; and Ruth, a wise old broad who can see the future. Like Thom, these heroes have things to hide; but they will have to learn to trust one another when they uncover a deadly conspiracy within the League. To survive, Thom will face challenges he never imagined. To find happiness, he’ll have to come to terms with his father’s past and discover the kind of hero he really wants to be." This novel appears on the AfterEllen’s Best Gay Books, Top 100 Gay Books, and Best Gay Fiction reading lists.
- Get the book. (Books available at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com)
- Read it.
- Sign-in on the comments for this blog entry so we know how much dessert to get.
- Come share dessert, as well as your thoughts and insights on the book.
- July: Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
- August: Dancer From the Dance by Andrew Holleran
- September: Maurice by E. M. Forster
- October: The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
- Nov-Dec: Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman
- January: The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story by Peter Lefcourt
- February: At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill
- March: How I Paid For College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito
- April: A Home At The End of the World by Michael Cunningham
- May: Like People in History by Felice Picano
- June: Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story by Paul Monette