Thursday, August 23, 7:30 PM
Location: 2001 Royalwood Dr., Arlington
Email Bill or call for directions 817-718-2424
Dancer From the Dance (by Andrew Holleran) Synopsis: “One of the most important works of gay literature, this haunting, brilliant novel is a seriocomic remembrance of things past -- and still poignantly present. It depicts the adventures of Malone, a beautiful young man searching for love amid New York's emerging gay scene. From Manhattan's Everard Baths and after-hours discos to Fire Island's deserted parks and lavish orgies, Malone looks high and low for meaningful companionship. The person he finds is Sutherland, a campy quintessential queen -- and one of the most memorable literary creations of contemporary fiction. Hilarious, witty, and ultimately heartbreaking, Dancer from the Dance is truthful, provocative, outrageous fiction told in a voice as close to laughter as to tears."
1. Get the book. (Books available at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com.)All are welcome. See you there!Upcoming Book Club Selections:
2. Read it.
3. Sign-in on the comments for this blog entry so we know how much dessert to get.
4. Come share dessert, as well as your thoughts and insights on the book.
• September: Maurice by E. M. Forster
• October: The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
• Nov-Dec: Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman
• January: The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story by Peter Lefcourt
• February: At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill
• March: How I Paid For College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito
• April: A Home At The End of the World by Michael Cunningham
• May: Like People in History by Felice Picano
• June: Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story by Paul Monette